The MAX17220-MAX17225 from Maxim Integrated Products is a family of ultra-low quiescent current boost (step-up) dc-dc converters with a 225mA/0.5A/1A peak inductor current limit and True Shutdown™.
True Shutdown disconnects the output from the input with no forward or reverse current. The output voltage is selectable using a single standard 1% resistor. The 225mA (MAX17220), 500mA (MAX17222/MAX17223), and 1A (MAX17224/MAX17225) peak inductor current limits allow flexibility when choosing inductors.
The MAX17220/MAX17222/MAX17224 versions have post-startup enable transient protection (ETP), allowing the output to remain regulated for input voltages down to 400mV, depending on load current.
The MAX17220-MAX17225 offer ultra-low quiescent current, small total solution size, and high efficiency throughout the entire load range. The MAX17220-MAX17225 are ideal for battery applications where long battery life is a must.
Applications are expected to include:
- Optical Heart-Rate Monitoring (OHRM) LED Drivers
- Supercapacitor Backup for RTC/Alarm Buzzers
- Primary-Cell Portable Systems
- Tiny, Low-Power IoT Sensors
- Secondary-Cell Portable Systems
- Wearable Devices
- Battery-Powered Medical Equipment
- Low-Power Wireless Communication Products
Benefits and Features include:
- 300nA Quiescent Supply Current Into OUT
- True Shutdown Mode
- 5nA Shutdown Current
- Output Disconnects from Input
- No Reverse Current with VOUT 0V to 5V
- 95% Peak Efficiency
- 400mV to 5.5V Input Range
- 88V Minimum Startup Voltage
- 8V to 5V Output Voltage Range
- Single 1% Resistor Selectable Output
- 225mA, 500mA, and 1A Peak Inductor Current Limit
- MAX17220: 225mA ILIM
- MAX17222/MAX17223: 500mA ILIM
- MAX17224/MAX17225: 1A ILIM
- MAX17220/MAX17222/MAX17224 Enable Transient Protection (ETP)
- 2mm x 2mm 6-Pin μDFN
- 88mm x 1.4mm 6-Bump WLP (2 x 3, 0.4mm Pitch)
The MAX17222 evaluation kit (EV kit) evaluates the MAX17220-MAX17225 IC family of ultra-low quiescent current step-up dc-dc converters. The MAX17222 EV kit features two independent circuits to evaluate two different IC packages of the MAX17220-MAX17225 family.
Both circuits on the EV kit operate over an input range of 400mV to 5.5V, depending on load, with 0.88V typical startup with 3kΩ load. Each circuit provides resistor-configurable output voltages from 1.8V to 5V in 100mV/step.
The EV kit comes with the MAX17222ELT+ and MAX17225ENT+ installed.
Key Features of the EV kit include:
- Two Independent Circuits on One Board
- Evaluates the MAX17220-MAX17225 IC Family in a 6-pin µDFN
- Evaluates the MAX17220-MAX17225 IC Family in a 6-pin Wafer-Level Package (WLP)
- 400mV to 5.5V Input Range
- 8V to 5V Configurable Output Voltage in 100mV/step
- Up to 100mA/225mA/425mA Output Current
- Proven 2-Layer 1oz Copper PCB Layout
- Demonstrates Compact Solution Size
- Fully Assemble and Tested