Littelfuse, Inc. and Monolith Semiconductor Inc. have added two 1200V silicon carbide (SiC) n-channel, enhancement-mode MOSFETs to their expanding first-generation portfolio of power semiconductor devices. These new SiC MOSFETs are the latest products of a strategic partnership that Littelfuse formed with Monolith in 2015 to develop power semiconductors for industrial and automotive markets.
The LSIC1MO120E0120 and LSIC1MO120E0160 SiC MOSFETs offer ultra-low on-resistance (RDS(on)) levels of just 120 milliohms and 160 milliohms respectively. The announcement was made in the Littelfuse booth at the Applied Power Electronics Conference & Exposition (APEC 2018).
These SiC MOSFETs are designed for use as power semiconductor switches in a wide range of various power conversion systems, outperforming their silicon MOSFET counterparts substantially in terms of blocking voltage, specific-on resistance, and junction capacitances.
They also offer a combination of high operating voltages and ultra-fast switching that traditional power transistor solutions such as silicon IGBTs with similar current ratings and packages can't match.
Typical applications for these new SiC MOSFETs include:
- Electric vehicles.
- Industrial machinery.
- Renewable energy (e.g., solar inverters).
- Medical equipment.
- Switch-mode power supplies.
- Uninterruptible power supplies (UPSs).
- Motor drives.
- High-voltage DC/DC converters.
- Induction heating.
"These new SiC MOSFETs provide power converter designers with a state-of-the-art alternative to traditional silicon-based transistors," said Michael Ketterer, product marketing manager for Power Semiconductors at Littelfuse. "Their inherent material characteristics and ultra-fast switching capabilities offer a variety of design optimization opportunities including increased power density, higher efficiency, and the potential for lower bill-of-material costs."
The new 1200V SiC MOSFETs offer these key benefits:
- A reduction in passive filter components at the system level supports increased power density, for a design that's optimized for use in high-frequency, high-efficiency applications.
- Extremely low gate charge and output capacitance combined with ultra-low on-resistance allows for minimal power dissipation, higher efficiency and a reduction in the size and sophistication of the cooling techniques required.
LSIC1MO120E0120 and LSIC1MO120E0160 SiC MOSFETs are available in TO-247-3L packages in tubes in quantities of 450. Sample requests may be placed through authorized Littelfuse distributors worldwide.