NXP Semiconductors announced it is first to receive the Qi-certification from the Wireless Power Consortium for their MP-A11 fixed-frequency transmitter reference design supporting the Extended Power Profile (EPP) up to 15W, which covers 7.5W charging for the latest iPhones, as well as Samsung Fast Charge.
The MP-A11 reference design was defined and developed by NXP, and is already used in many leading transmitter solutions for mobile devices. The MP-A11 offers a best-in-class charging and safety experience, and is currently the only proven development solution in the market to enable fast wireless charging optimized for iPhone.
The current approved MP-A11 reference design is a Fixed Frequency Single Coil Transmitter Reference Design (NXP part number WCT-15W1TXFF) supporting 15W EPP and is compliant with the latest Qi V1.2.4 specification.
It includes various foreign object detection (FOD) techniques throughout power transfer which includes pre-power transfer FOD, ping period FOD and power loss FOD.
“With Apple’s announcement to include Qi wireless charging in the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone X, the industry is seeing acceleration of new transmitter designs, often by companies that wish to integrate this capability into an existing product line,” said Steven Tateosian, Product Marketing Director at NXP
“By completing the certification on the reference design, NXP customers that are designing and manufacturing their own MP-A11 based transmitter devices can now easily speed the certification of their products – reducing months from their time to market and saving tens of thousands of dollars,” added Tateosian.
- Compliant with the Qi v1.2.2 specification
- WPC MP-A11 topology (introduced by NXP)
- Supports Industrial and Consumer Extended Power Profile (EPP) – 15 W support
- Fixed frequency, cost-optimized consumer design
- Greater than 70% transfer efficiency
- Integrated digital demodulation on chip
- Q-Factor and robust power loss Foreign Object Detection (FOD)
- Supports I2C, UART, SPI and CAN interfaces
- Software-based solution to provide maximum design freedom