USB PD3.0 Compliant End-to-End Fast Charging for Mobile Applications
NXP Semiconductors N.V. today announced that Taiwanese electronics company ASUS implemented NXP’s fast and reliable battery charging solution for its latest ASUS ROG (Republic of Gaming) high-end flagship gaming phone. Traditional battery charging in phones dissipates heat limiting the battery charging levels, resulting in slow battery charging.
As the first to go to market with the USB PD 3.0 compliant, end-to-end fast charging solution, NXP removes the thermal issues of high-current battery charging with its 2:1 switched capacitor charger to bring safe, cool and fast battery charging.
As a result, NXP’s end-to-end charging solution allows the battery to maintain 98 percent efficiency during high current charging during gameplay or full operation of application processors.
“Our ‘Republic of Gamers’ products are designed to be the most powerful premium gear designed for gamers and gaming enthusiasts,” said Bryan Chang, associate vice president at ASUS. “To meet serious gamers’ expectations, we proudly teamed up with NXP to bring industry-leading charging solutions to our phones – enabling longer play time while delivering epic performance, unbeatable visuals and total control demanded from our customers.”
“With the use of our end-to-end fast battery charging solution, NXP takes the utmost pride in enabling a safe and seamless charging experience for ASUS’ customers and to future companies alike,” said Chae Lee, senior vice president and general manager of secure interfaces and power solutions at NXP. “We’re excited to be the first to market to enable these benefits.”
Key components, features, and benefits:
- 98 percent charge efficiency in PCA9468 enables faster charge times with less power loss or heat dissipation during high current charging
- Regulation loops ensure safe charging and protection against any abnormal power supply scenario
- The USB PD3.0 compliant ac-dc adaptor enables full compatibility with other USB PD compliant adaptors with fast charging support
- 2:1 switched capacitor converter doubles output current from input current thus allowing low current rated USB cable to be used for overall system BOM $ reduction
- End-to-end charging solution with fully validated reference charging firmware and hardware to shorten time-to-market