Synchronous 4-Switch Buck-Boost DC-DC Controller with Pass-Through
The LT8210 from Analog Devices is a 4-switch synchronous buck-boost dc-dc controller that can operate in pass-through, forced continuous, pulse-skipping and Burst Mode® operation. Pass-through is a feature that passes the input directly to the output when the input is within a user programmable window.
Pass-through mode eliminates switching losses and EMI along with maximizing efficiency. For input voltages above or below the pass-through window, the buck or boost regulation loops maintain the output at the set maximum or minimum values, respectively.
Applications are expected to include:
- Automotive, Industrial, Telecom, Avionics Systems
- Automotive Start-Stop, Emergency Call Applications
- ISO 7637, ISO 16750, MIL-1275, DO-160 Applications
The GATEVCC driver supply is regulated to 10.6V allowing the use of standard-level MOSFETs and can be powered through the EXTVCC pin for improved efficiency. The GATEVCC regulator is back-drive-protected to ride through input brownouts while maintaining regulation.
Optional reverse input protection down to -40V can be implemented with the addition of a single N-channel MOSFET. The LT8210 includes a precision current sense amplifier that can accurately monitor and limit output or input average current.
Features & Specifications
- Pin-Selectable Pass-Through or Fixed Output CCM, DCM, Burst Mode® Operation
- Programmable Non-Switching Pass-Through Window
- 18µA Pass-Through Mode IQ with 99.9% Efficiency
- VIN Range: 2.8V to 100V (4.5V for Start-Up)
- VOUT Range: 1V to 100V
- Reverse Input Protection to -40V
- ±1.25% Output Voltage Accuracy (-40°C to 125°C)
- ±3% Accurate Current Monitoring
- ±5% Accurate Current Regulation
- 10V Quad N-Channel MOSFET Gate Drivers
- EXTVCC LDO Powers Drivers from VOUT/External Rail
- ±20% Cycle-by-Cycle Inductor Current Limit
- No Top MOSFET Refresh Noise in Buck or Boost
- Fixed/Phase-Lockable Frequency: 80kHz to 400kHz
- Spread Spectrum Frequency Modulation for Low EMI
- Power Good Output Voltage/Overcurrent Monitor
- Available in a 38-Lead TSSOP Package