Qorvo® today introduced a new intelligent power control solution that significantly reduces energy consumption, bulk, weight and noise in smart home appliances, ac-powered fans and compressors. This new, mixed-signal System in Package (SiP) product can reduce bill of materials by as much as 35 percent, even as it enhances performance, reliability and energy efficiency in brushless dc (BLDC) motor and permanent magnet synchronous motor (PMSM) control applications.
The Qorvo PAC5556 Power Application Controller® (PAC) delivers extreme power density in a slim, compact 52-pin 10×10 QFN package. It features a 150MHz Arm® Cortex®-M4F digital high-performance processor with 128kB FLASH and integrates a 600V N-channel dc-dc buck controller and signal conditioning components. This greatly reduces the bill of materials in high-voltage systems that do not require isolation.
The integrated power management supplies all necessary voltage rails for the system, including the 12V or 15V gate driver supply for MOSFETs or IGBTs. An additional, high-efficiency 5V dc-dc buck converter provides power for other system peripherals.
Larry Blackledge, general manager, Qorvo Programmable Power Management business unit, said, “We are continually optimizing our product designs to improve performance and increase energy efficiency. The PAC5556 expands our highly-optimized family of PAC devices that can implement BLDC and PMSM programmable motor controllers and drivers in a single, integrated package. This is a game changer for controlling and powering next-generation smart energy ac-powered appliances, devices and equipment.”
BLDC motors are seeing widespread adoption, thanks to their maintenance-free operation, longer life span, power efficiency and quieter operation. Next-generation systems that are switching from brushed dc motors to BLDCs include smart home appliances, HVAC systems, automobiles, aerospace, defense and medical devices.
The PAC5556 is available now to customers and offers these specifications:
- Configurable power manager
- AC line input or dc supply up to 600V
- 8µA hibernate IQ
- 600V dc-dc buck controller (HV-BUCK)
- 5V dc-dc buck regulator (MV-BUCK)
- 4 Linear regulators with power and hibernate management
- Power and temperature monitor, warning, fault detection
- Proprietary configurable analog front-end
- 10 analog front-end IO pins
- 3 differential programmable gain amplifiers
- 4 single-ended programmable gain amplifiers
- Programmable over-current protection
- 10 comparators, 2 DACs (10-bit)
- Integrated VM ADC sampling
- Proprietary application specific power drivers
- 3 600V high-side gate drivers with 0.25A/0.5A gate driving capability
- 3 low-side gate drivers with 1A/1A gate driving capability
- Configurable fault protection
- Cycle by cycle current limit control (CBCCTL)