Cypress Semiconductor Corp. added the newest member of its USB-C power delivery family, the EZ-PD Power Adapter Generation 1 (PAG1). An integrated USB PD controller makes the PAG1 a complete ac-dc power solution. The adapter solution can be used to build efficient, reliable, and cost-effective power adapters for the USB-C chargers.
“With EZ-PD PAG1, Cypress now offers a fully integrated power adapter solution including ac-dc and USB-C components, expanding our leadership position while offering increased value to our customers”
EZ-PD PAG1 integrates the primary, secondary, and USB PD controller components together. Combined with its advanced features, the PAG1 boasts best-in-class efficiency, improved reliability, and a reduced bill of materials.
PAG1 is offered as a two-chip solution with a primary start-up controller (PAG1P) and a single-chip secondary-side controller (PAG1S) that integrates a PD controller, synchronous rectification driver, 30V-tolerant regulator, high-voltage NFET gate drivers, as well as OVP, SCP, and OCP protection. PAG1 is a secondary-side-controlled flyback solution that supports dynamically variable switching frequency thereby providing best-in-class efficiency and better reliability.
The PAG1 is fully programmable, allowing easy configuring of USB charger solutions to support charging standards such as PD3.0 with PPS, Apple Charging, QC4/4+, QC 3.0/2.0, BC v1.2, and Samsung AFC.
You may also like: 100W USB-C PD 3.0 Controllers for Fast Charging
“With EZ-PD PAG1, Cypress now offers a fully integrated power adapter solution including ac-dc and USB-C components, expanding our leadership position while offering increased value to our customers,” said Ajay Srikrishna, vice president of Cypress’ Wired Connectivity Business Unit. “With our continued focus on our customers, the highly integrated PAG1 family was built in response to the need for a robust USB Power Delivery solution with class-leading performance.”
USB-C offers a new connectivity standard that can simultaneously power devices and transmit data using the same cable and standard reversible connector. USB-C can power devices up to 100W, and it allows the incorporation of different interfaces on the same port. As more devices are charged with a single charger or power adapter, multiple proprietary power adapters are no longer needed, which thereby simplifies product designs and reduces e-waste.
“With the versatility and benefits USB-C brings to the market, IHS Markit anticipates the number of devices having at least one USB-C port to increase at a five-year compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of over 70 percent, growing from 300 million devices in 2016 to just under 5 billion devices in 2021,” said Noman Akhtar, research analyst, Industrial Semiconductors and Sensors, IHS Markit. “USB Type-C is an advanced wired interface technology and will modernize many consumer electronic segments with its fast-charging capabilities as well as the ability to simultaneously transfer data across numerous devices.”
Cypress Semiconductor will demonstrate the PAG1 family at Computex 2019 in Taipei Taiwan from May 28th to June 1st. Along with the company’s EZ-PD BCR solution that enables simple replacement of barrel power connectors with USB-C electronic products consuming less than 100W, Cypress now provides an end-to-end USB power delivery solution, paving the way for USB-C to power everything.
PAG1P is a primary start-up controller for ac-dc applications. It is designed to work with PAG1S in a secondary-controlled ac-dc flyback converter topology in which the PAG1S device regulates the voltage and current while PAG1P provides the start-up function, drives the primary FET, and responds to fault conditions. PAG1P also supports X-cap discharge mode to achieve better efficiency.
- Works across universal ac mains input 85Vac to 265Vac
- Low-side gate driver to drive primary side FET
- Protection against line under-voltage and over-voltage
- Over-current protection against load short-circuit
- Secondary over-voltage protection
- Programmable soft-start configurable with external capacitor
- Fixed auto-restart timer for fault recovery
- Supports X-cap discharge mode to achieve better efficiency
- Integrated high-voltage start-up and shunt regulator
- Synchronizes to PWM from secondary side using a Pulse Edge
- USB PD 3.0 with PPS and QC4.0+
- Works with both primary-side controlled and secondary- side controlled fly back designs
- Integrates secondary-side regulation, synchronous rectifier (SR), and charging port controller
- Higher-efficiency across line and load levels with better CC/CV loop control
- Supports Quasi-Resonant (QR) or Critical Conduction Mode (CrCM), valley switching, Discontinuous Conduction Mode (DCM), and burst mode for light load operations
- Switching frequency range of 20KhZ to 150kHZ
- Supports USB PD2.0, PD 3.0 with PPS, QC4+, QC 4.0, QC 3.0,QC 2.0,
- Samsung AFC, Apple charging, and BC v1.2 charging protocols
- Supports Constant Voltage (CV) and Constant Current (CC) modes of operation.
- Configurable over-voltage protection (OVP), under-voltage protection (UVP), over-current protection (OCP), short circuit protection (SCP), and over-temperature protection (OTP)
- Integrates low-side current sense amplifier (LSCSA), 2x VBUS discharge FETs, and a NFET gate driver to drive the load switch.
Available in a 24 QFN (4×4) package
Cypress Semiconductor is now sampling the EZ-PD PAG1 family to major OEMs, and the company will begin producing the controllers in the fourth quarter of 2019.