Analog Devices has added the ADP5014 that combines four high-performance, low-noise buck regulators in a 40-lead LFCSP package. Relying on its low output noise (~25µV rms when Vout ≤ Vref), the low noise buck regulator enables the powering up of the noise sensitive signal chain products.
All channels in the ADP5014 integrate high-side and low-side power metal-oxide semiconductor field effect transistors (MOSFET). Channel 1 and Channel 2 deliver a programmable output current of 2A or 4A. Combining Channel 1 and Channel 2 in a parallel configuration provides a single output with up to 8A of current.
Channel 3 and Channel 4 deliver a programmable output current of 1A and 2A. Combining Channel 3 and Channel 4 in a parallel configuration can provide a single output with up to 4A of current.
The ADP5014 features two enable modes. The manual mode has four individual precision enable pins to enable each regulator manually. Alternatively, the sequence mode has one grouped precision enable signal with programmable power-up and power-down delay timers on each rail for specific rail sequence requirements.
The switching frequency of the ADP5014 can be programmed or synchronized to an external clock from 500kHz to 2.5MHz.
The ADP5014 offers other key features like selective forced pulse width modulation (FPWM)/power saving mode (PSM), an undervoltage output (UVO), active output discharge, and a power-good flag. Other safety features include input under-voltage lockout (UVLO), overvoltage protection (OVP), overcurrent protection (OCP) and thermal shutdown (TSD).
Applications are expected to include:
- RF transceiver, high speed analog-to-digital converter (ADC)/digital-to-analog converter (DAC), mixed signal ASIC
- Field programmable gate array (FPGA) and processor applications
- Security and surveillance
- Medical devices
Features and benefits include:
- Input voltage range: 2.75V to 6.0V
- Programmable output voltage range: 0.5V to 0.9 × PVINx
- Low output noise: ~25µV rms when Vout ≤ Vref
- ±1.0% output accuracy over full temperature range
- 500kHz to 2.5MHz adjustable switching frequency
- Power regulation
- Channel 1 and Channel 2: programmable 2A/4A sync buck regulators, or single 8A output in parallel
- Channel 3 and Channel 4: programmable 1A/2A sync buck regulators, or single 4A output in parallel
- Flexible parallel operation
- Precision enable with 0.6V threshold
- Manual or sequence mode for power-up and power-down sequence
- Selective FPWM or PSM operation mode
- Precision undervoltage comparator
- Frequency synchronization input or output
- Active output discharge switch
- Power-good flag on selective channels via factory fuse
- UVLO, OVP, OCP, and TSD protection
- 40-lead, 6 mm × 6 mm LFCSP package
- −40°C to +125°C junction temperature