Controllis has launched the Smart48-Hybrid Power Unit (HPU). The power unit allows mobile and telecoms operators to improve their network reliability and reduce their fuel consumption from generators.
Globally, millions of mobile tower and telecoms sites have been deployed. These sites are powered by a combination of mains (where available) or generators (when there is no mains).
Such sites can benefit from additional back-up power from battery and renewable energy sources. The Controllis solution adds backup power to both existing and new sites and introduces renewable technology with what the company claims to be the lowest operating costs and carbon footprint.
The Controllis Smart48-HPU is a flexible energy storage and power backup system that works with either with the Controllis’ dc generator technology or supplements an existing deployed ac generator. The Smart48-HPU ensures continued service when mains or ac generators are offline and reduces the operating hours and fuel consumption of an ac generator used as the primary or backup power source.
The Smart48-HPU combines an air-conditioned integrated lithium-ion battery bank, renewable inputs such as solar and wind power, rectification for mains or ac generators and rack space to securely accommodate additional telecoms equipment.
The Controllis advanced controller monitors and optimizes all aspects of system performance. It also controls any existing AC generators – minimizing their running time and maximizing the use of battery and renewable energy. The Smart48-HPU is also remotely managed via the cloud and provides insightful data analytics capabilities to help operators really understand how their power network is performing.
“The Smart48-HPU provides real operational and commercial benefits” said Lance Davidson, Director of Hardware and Engineering at Controllis. “It allows an operator to increase the reliability of their deployed site and, by prioritizing renewable and battery power over generators and mains, it can dramatically cut an operator’s fuel costs and reduce their carbon footprint.”
Deploying the Controllis Smart-48-HPU can save costs and reduce the risk of service outage, gaining a competitive advantage. According to Controllis, payback from utilizing a Smart48-HPU can often be measured in months compared to years with other systems.
Smart48-HPU can be used with:
- An existing ac generator and renewable power source
- A mains input while optimizing and prioritizing the renewable power source
- A Controllis dc generator and renewables in a combined Modular48 system.
Features and Benefits
- Up to 1500Ah (75kWh) of 48V lithium-ion energy storage
- Up to 20kW of solar charging capacity
- Up to 20kW of wind power capacity
- Up to 30kW of mains rectifier capacity
- 60U of ETSI 19in rack space for power and communications equipment
- Temperature controlled environment with free cooling and air conditioning
- Automated generator control and monitoring
- Automated fuel level monitoring of existing fuel tanks
- Site surveillance using PoE CCTV
- Site security lighting and alarming
- Site security monitoring and access control