Babcock & Wilcox MEGTEC (B&W MEGTEC) pioneered simultaneous two-sided horizontal tensioned-web coating for lithium-ion battery electrodes. With the launch of the wide-web GigaCoater system, the company can provide an annual output of 2- to 3-GWh with a single machine.
The traditional approach for battery electrode manufacturing is to coat one side at a time, thus requiring two passes through the coating line. A more efficient and effective method is to coat both sides in a single pass.
This can be accomplished in two different ways: 1) Sequential or tandem coating system, or 2) simultaneous two-side coating. B&W MEGTEC has pioneered and successfully implemented simultaneous two-side horizontal, tensioned web coating.
The benefits of simultaneous two-side coating include:
- Twice the throughput compared to single-side coaters
- Smaller line footprint than tandem line
- Lower capital and operating costs than tandem coating line
- Improved product quality
- Simpler factory layout/improved material flow
- Facilitates inline calender/pressing