Combo Controller with Multi-Mode PFC and Current Mode LLC
Monolithic Power Systems, Inc. (MPS) has launched the HR1210, a Multi-Mode PFC and Current Mode LLC Combo Controller that is programmable through a UART Interface. The controller’s power-saving technology helps power supply designs achieve optimized efficiency across the operating range.
The PFC controller in HR1210 utilizes a patented digital average current control scheme to achieve hybrid CCM and DCM operation. The switching frequency at light load can be reduced due to DCM, which leads to better efficiency.
Higher Power Factor (PF) can also be achieved at light load in HR1210 by using a digital input capacitor current compensation method. At heavy load, CCM operation reduces the peak current in the MOSFET, which allows implementation in a wider load range.
HR1210 performs current mode control in the LLC stage, so it can easily achieve good stability and fast response at the same time. Also, three different operation modes are implemented based on the various load conditions; steady-state mode, skip mode, and burst mode.
In this way, efficiency can be optimized in different load conditions. The key zero-voltage switching (ZVS) feature of LLC converter that benefits the efficiency performance the most, can be guaranteed by the adaptive dead-time of both high-side gate and low-side gate drivers. Any capacitive operation can also be effectively prevented in HR1210.
HR1210 integrates a high-voltage current source IC for the startup. Therefore, the traditional startup resistor or external circuit can be removed. The high-voltage current source is also implemented as an X-cap discharger when ac input is dropout, so the resistor for X-cap discharge can be removed as well.
HR1210 has variable protections for any system faults including Thermal Shutdown (TSD), PFC Open-Loop Protection (OLP), Over-voltage Protection (OVP), Over-Current Limit (OCL) and LLC Short Circuit Protection (SCP), SO-pin protection, Overload Protection (OLP).
HR1210 is available in SOIC20 and TSSOP20.
General System Features
- HV Current Source for Startup
- Smart X-cap Discharge when AC Dropout, Approved by IEC62368 and
- IEC60950, pending
- UART interface for Parameters Program
- User-Friendly GUI for Digital PFC
- CCM/DCM Multi mode PFC control with high efficiency from light load to full load
- Operate Up to 250kHz
- High PF due to Input Cap Current Compensation
- Programmable Frequency Jittering
- Programmable Soft Start-up
- Programmable AC input Brown In/Out
- Cycle-by-cycle Current Limit
- OLP, OVP Protection
- 600V High-Side Gate Driver with Integrated Bootstrap Diode and High dV/dt Immunity
- Current Mode Control
- Operate up to 500kHz at Steady State Mode
- Adaptive dead-time adjustment with minimum and maximum limit
- Burst/Skip mode switching at light load
- Programmable Soft-Start
- Programmable DC input Brown In/Out
- Capacitive Mode Protection
- SCP, OLP Protection with auto-restart or latch
- Programmable protection on SO pin