The TPS7B81-Q1 from Texas Instruments is a low-dropout (LDO) linear regulator designed for up to 40V Vin applications. With a 2.7µA typical quiescent current at light load, the device is an especially suitable solution for powering microcontrollers as well as controller area network and local interconnect network (CAN/LIN) transceivers in standby systems.
In automotive battery-connected applications, low quiescent current (IQ) is vital to both conserve energy and extend battery life. Always-on systems require ultralow IQ over an extended temperature range to enable continued operation when the vehicle ignition is off.
Typical applications for the LDO linear regulator include cluster power supplies, body control modules, always-on battery connected applications, gateway applications, remote keyless entry systems, and powering MCUs and CAN/LIN transceivers.
Short-circuit and over-current protection are integrated. This device operates in ambient temperatures from -40°C to +125°C and with junction temperatures from -40°C to +150°C.
Additionally, this device is available in several packages of varying size and thermal conductivity. The small WSON package aids the most compact PCB design, and the TO-252 package enables sustained operation even with significant dissipation across the device. These features make the device well suited as a power supply for various battery-connected automotive applications.
- AEC-Q100 qualified for automotive applications:
- Temperature Grade 1: -40°C to 125°C, Ta
- Device junction temperature range: -40°C to 150°C
- 3V to 40V wide Vin input voltage range with up to 45V transient
- Maximum output current: 150mA
- Low quiescent current IQ:
- 300nA typical when EN = low (shutdown mode)
- 7µA typical at light loads
- 5µA maximum at light loads
- 5% output-voltage accuracy over line, load and temperature
- Maximum dropout voltage: 525mV at 150mA load current for fixed 5V output version
- Stable with low-ESR (0.001Ω to 5Ω) ceramic output-stability capacitor (1µF to 200µF)
- Fixed 5V and 3.3V output voltage
- Integrated fault protection:
- Thermal shutdown
- Short-circuit and overcurrent protection
- DGN (8-pin HVSSOP), RθJA= 63.9°C/W (preview)
- DRV (6-pin WSON), RθJA= 72.8°C/W
- KVU (5-pin TO-252), RθJA= 38.8°C/W (preview)