TDK Corporation announced the TFM252012ALVA thin-film metal power inductors that can be connected directly to a 12V car battery. Applications for the inductors include ADAS, powertrains, car telematics (infotainment) systems, various automotive electronic control units (ECUs), and others.
The power inductors have a footprint of just 2.5mm × 2.0mm and a height of 1.2mm. Due to the magnetic metal core, these newly developed inductors provide a rated current of 1.6A and an inductance of 4.7μH at 1MHz. They can withstand severe temperature environments with an operating temperature range of -55°C to +150°C (including increase by self-heating) and are therefore especially suited for automotive power circuits. Mass production of the series began in February 2019.
TDK asserts that to date, no thin-film metal inductors featuring a footprint smaller than 9mm2 are on the market that can be coupled to a 12V car battery. However, the newly developed TFM252012ALVA inductor achieves a rated voltage of 40V with a footprint smaller than 9mm2, thanks to TDK’s material technologies and structural design, and therefore, can be used in power circuits with an input directly coupled from a 12V car battery.
In automobiles today, ECUs are increasingly being installed to electrify many control functions and to perform in-vehicle information communication, autonomous driving, and other functions. The number of automotive ECUs necessary for accomplishing ADAS has increased and therefore the number of inductors for power circuits in these units has also increased. However, the company points out that because the number of parts has been increasing with limited mounting space, small-sized electronic components with high performance and reliability are increasingly demanded.
Features and Benefits
- Inductance: 4.7μH ±20% @ 1MHz
- Rated voltage: 40V
- 1.6A max., 1.8A typ. (based on +40°C increase from self-heating)
- Isat: 1.9A max., 2.2A typ. (based on 30% decrease in inductance)
- AEC-Q200 compliant
- Usable in power circuits directly connected to a 12V car battery
- Newly developed metal core enables currents up to 1.6A
- Operating temperature range: -55°C to +150°C (including +40°C increase from self-heating)
- Metal magnetic material with high saturation magnetic flux density produces excellent dc bias for inductors
- Same product shape and terminal structure as general chip parts
- Boasts excellent mounting stability characteristics
- Allows mounting for general-purpose land patterns
- A closed magnetic circuit structure minimizes leakage flux