VPT, Inc., a HEICO company, released its SGRB Series of space qualified dc-dc converters at the Satellite 2019 Show. With advanced GaN technology, the SGRB can operate at up to 95% efficiency. The dc-dc converters also feature radiation tolerance. A fixed-frequency, reduced voltage switching topology results in very low input and output noise, making it suitable for use in telecommunication systems.
VPT specifically designed the SGRB series for applications facing the harsh radiation environments of space. The SGRB Series has been characterized to Total Ionizing Dose (TID) of 100krad(Si), including Enhanced Low Dose Rate Sensitivity (ELDRS), and Single Event Effects (SEE) performance to 85 MeV/mg/cm2.
The series features an integrated EMI filter. It has a 100V input and a 28V, 400W output and is rated for full power operation from -35°C to 85°C.
“We developed these products to provide a solution that dramatically increases the power supply efficiency,” said Jeremy Ferrell, VPT’s Director of Engineering. “This, in turn, greatly reduces the system size, weight, and cost. The SGRB product uses GaN technology that allows us to increase the efficiency beyond the traditional radiation hardened silicon offering.”
“VPT is pleased to announce our first GaN-based, 100V input DC-DC converters designed specifically for space applications,” Malcolm Campbell, VPT’s Executive Director of International Sales and Marketing said. “The SGRB product specifications are particularly well suited for space-borne telecommunication applications where high efficiency, low noise, and radiation tolerance are critical to mission success. Further, we see the design topology of the SGRB as the beginning of an exciting family of future models based on GaN technology.”
- High Efficiency up to 95% using GaN technology
- Integrated EMI filter
- 120V, 10ms transient
- 80V, 10ms transient
- Over-Voltage protection
- Output Current limit protection
- Output Short circuit protection
- 28V Command on
- 28V Command off
- Input Current telemetry
- Parallel up to 5 units with current share
- Guaranteed TID performance to 100krad(Si) including ELDRS
- SEE performance to 85MeV/mg/cm2. Transients are fully characterized for cross section and magnitude
Compliances and Certifications
- Manufactured in a facility certified to ISO9001, J-STD-001 and IPC-A-610
- Designed in line with MIL-HDBK-1547
- Screening up to level T available
- VPT is reviewing specific customer requests for custom orders of the SGRB Series.