Infineon Technologies AG introduced the ILD8150/E LED driver IC. It features an innovative hybrid dimming mode technology for achieving 0.5% of the target current. With its supply voltage range from 8Vdc up to 80Vdc, the driver IC offers a high safety voltage margin for applications operating close to safe extra-low voltage (SELV) limits. The driver IC is suited for general and professional LED lighting applications with high dimming requirements. (See the typical application circuit block diagram above).
The ILD8150/E provides a deep dimming performance without flicker and prevents audible noise. A pwm input signal between 250Hz and 20kHz controls the LED current in analog dimming output mode from 100% to 12.5% and from 12.5% to 0.5% in hybrid dimming mode, with a flicker-free modulation frequency of 3.4kHz.
The digital pwm dimming detection with high resolution and the low power shutdown exactly match the ILD8150/E to microcontrollers. The device also features a dim-to-off function, and it has a pull-down transistor to avoid LED glowing in dim-to-off mode.
A high-side integrated switch is used to drive Infineon’s new ILD8150/E up to 1.5A.
ILD8150, which has a low RDS(on) of 290mΩ, enables high power designs with an efficiency of more than 95%. A soft-start function protects the primary stage from abrupt current requests, and ILD8150 has a shunt resistor for adjustable maximum output current.
Precise output current accuracy of typical 3% from one device to another under all load and input voltage conditions makes the IC suitable for for lighting applications such as tunable white and flat panel designs where current must be identical.
Additionally, over temperature protection and under voltage lockout (UVLO) for the bootstrap voltage make it suitable for professional LED lighting solutions.
- Input voltage ranging from 8Vdc to 80Vdc
- Up to 1.5A average output current
- Efficiency values of more than 95%
- Maximum duty cycle up to 99%
- Up to 2MHz switching frequency
- Hybrid dimming input with 250Hz to 20kHz pwm dimming frequency
- Analog dimming 100% to 12.5%
- PWM dimming 12.5 to 0.5% with 3.4kHz flicker-free modulation
- Adjustable max. output current via shunt resistor
- Typical 3% output current accuracy
- Over-temperature protection
- Pull-down transistor to avoid LED glowing in dim-to-off
- DSO-8 package to enable wave soldering
The LED driver IC is available in a DSO-8 housing, which enables wave soldering. Better thermal performance can be achieved with the ILD8150E in a DSO-8 package with an exposed pad. Both variants can be ordered now.