The MP5505E from Monolithic Power Systems (MPS) is a lossless energy storage and management unit targeted toward solid-state and hard-disk drive applications. The highly integrated input current limit and energy storage-and-release management make the system solution very compact.
The internal input current limit block with dV/dt control prevents inrush current during system start-up. The bus voltage start-up slew rate is programmable, and a power-on reset function is included for hot-swapping.
MPS's patented energy storage-and-release management control circuit minimizes the storage capacitor requirement. It pumps the input voltage to a higher storage voltage and releases the energy over a hold-up time to the system in the case of an input outage. The storage voltage and the release voltage are both programmable for different system applications.
The MP5505E requires a minimal number of readily available, standard, external components and is available in a QFN-20 (3mmx4mm) package.
Summary of product features:
- Wide 2.7V to 7V Operating Input Range
- Input Current Limiter with Integrated 60mΩ MOSFET
- Up to 4.5A Input Current Limit
- Reverse-Current Protection
- 6V Bus Clamping Voltage
- Power-On Reset
- Adjustable dV/dt Slew Rate for Bus Voltage Start-Up
- Internal 30mΩ Disconnect Switch
- Internal 70mΩ and 60mΩ Power Switches for Energy Storage and Release Management Circuits
- Thermal Protection
- EN and Power Good Indicators
- Available in a QFN-20 (3mmx4mm) Package