The LMG341xR050 gallium-nitride (GaN) power stage with integrated driver and protection from Texas Instruments enables designers to achieve new levels of power density and efficiency in power electronics systems. The LMG341x’s inherent advantages over silicon MOSFETs include ultra-low input and output capacitance, zero reverse recovery to reduce switching losses by as much as 80%, and low switch node ringing to reduce EMI.
These advantages enable dense and efficient topologies like the totem-pole PFC. Typical applications are expected to include: High density industrial and consumer power supplies; Multi-level converters; Solar inverters; Industrial motor drives; Uninterruptable power supplies; and High voltage battery chargers.
The LMG341xR050 provides an alternative to traditional cascode GaN and standalone GaN FETs by integrating a unique set of features to simplify design, maximize reliability and optimize the performance of any power supply.
Integrated gate drive enables 100V/ns switching with near zero Vds ringing, less than 100ns current limiting response self-protects against unintended shoot-through events, overtemperature shutdown prevents thermal runaway, and system interface signals provide self-monitoring capability.
Features and Benefits
- Enables high density power conversion designs
- Superior system performance over cascode or stand-alone GaN FETs
- Low inductance 8 mm x 8 mm QFN package for ease of design, and layout
- Adjustable drive strength for switching performance and EMI control
- Digital fault status output signal
- Only +12V unregulated supply needed
- Integrated gate driver
- Zero common source inductance
- 20ns Propagation delay for MHz operation
- Trimmed gate bias voltage to compensate for threshold variations ensures reliable switching
- 25 to 100V/ns User adjustable slew rate
- Robust protection
- Requires no external protection components
- Overcurrent protection with less than 100 ns response
- Greater than 150V/ns Slew rate immunity
- Transient overvoltage immunity
- Overtemperature protection
- Under voltage lock out (UVLO) Protection on all supply rails
- LMG3410R050: Latched overcurrent protection
- LMG3411R050: Cycle-by-cycle overcurrent protection