The MPM3550E from Monolithic Power Systems, Inc. is a high-density, non-isolated, dc-dc power module for space-sensitive applications. The module offers a very compact solution that achieves 5A of continuous output current with fast transient and good stability over a wide input supply and load range. The MPM3550E can provide an adjustable output voltage from 1.0V to 12.0V via an external FB resistor (default 3.3V output). Ultra-high efficiency is achieved through the use of synchronous rectification and control techniques.
Applications are expected to include automotive systems, industrial supplies, telecom and networking systems, and distributed power and point-of-load systems.
The MPM3550E offers standard features, including an internal fixed soft start, remote enable control, and power good indicator. The MPM3550E has fully integrated protection features, including over-current protection (OCP), short-circuit protection (SCP), output under-voltage protection (UVP), input undervoltage lockout (UVLO), and thermal shutdown.
You may also like: Two-Layer Board, 5V/2.5A, Synchronous Buck DC-DC Converter Reference Design
The MPM3550E integrates a switching controller, power switches, inductors, a modest amount of input and output capacitors, and all support components in an advanced 12mm x 12mm x 4.2mm package. The MPM3550E only requires a minimal number of standard external components. This compact solution helps system design and productivity significantly by offering greatly simplified board design, layout, and manufacturing requirements.
At light-load or no-load conditions, the MPM3550E reduces the switching frequency automatically to maintain high efficiency. After the output current exceeds a critical current limit, the switching frequency remains fairly constant over the output current range.
The module implements thermal protection by monitoring the junction temperature of the internal IC. This function prevents the device from operating at exceedingly high temperatures. If the junction temperature exceeds the threshold value (175°C), the entire chip shuts down. This is a non-latch protection. There is a hysteresis of about 45°C. Once the junction temperature drops to about 130°C, the module resumes operation by initiating a soft start.
Summary of features:
- Integrated Inductor, Switches, Controller
- High-Efficiency Synchronous Mode Control
- Low Component Count and Small Size
- Ease of Design and Fastest Time to Market
- Wide 4.5V to 36V Operating Input Range
- Output Adjustable from 1.0V to 12.0V
- Guaranteed 5A Continuous Output Current
- Ultra-Fast Transient Response
- Internal Fixed Soft-Start Time
- External Frequency Selection Pin
- Power Good (PGOOD) Indicator
- Non-Latch OCP, SCP, UVP, and UVLO
- Thermal Shutdown Protection
- Remote Enable Control (EN)
- Available in an LGA-18 (12mm x 12mm x 4.2mm) Package
- Weight: 1.4g
- Operating Temperature: -40°C to +125°C
- CISPR25 Class 5 Compliant