Maxim Integrated‘s MAXM17624 3.3V output evaluation kit offers a proven design to evaluate the MAXM17624 high frequency, high-efficiency, synchronous step-down dc-dc power module. The eval kit is programmed to deliver 3.3V output for loads up to 1A. The kit features selectable-mode and provides an open-drain PGOOD signal. (See block diagram above).
Typical applications and uses for the MAXM17624 evaluation kit include distributed power systems, PoL power supplies, industrial sensors, process control, standard 5V rail power supplies, and battery-powered applications.
The kit includes an EN PCB pad, and jumper J1, to enable the output. Jumper J2 allows selection of either PFM or PWM mode of operation based on light-load performance requirements. An additional PGOOD pad is available for monitoring if the converter output voltage is in regulation.
The MAXM17624 data sheet provides a comprehensive description of the module that should be read in combination with this evaluation kit data sheet before modifying the demo circuit.
For a listing of the module features, benefits and parameters, refer to the MAXM17624 data sheet.
The Himalaya series of voltage regulator ICs and power modules, which includes MAXM17624, enable cooler, smaller, and simpler power-supply solutions. MAXM17624 is a high-frequency synchronous step down dc-dc converter module, with integrated MOSFETs, compensation components, and inductors, that operates over 2.9V to 5.5V input voltage range. MAXM17624 supports up to 1A load current and allows use of small, low-cost input and output capacitors. The output voltage can be adjusted from 0.8V to 3.3V. The module significantly reduces design complexity, manufacturing risks, and offer a true plug-and-play power supply solution, reducing time-to-market.
The MAXM17624 modules, like the company’s MAXM17623 modules, employ peak-current-mode control architecture under steady-state operation. To reduce input inrush current, the modules offer a fixed 1ms soft-start time.
Also, like the MAXM17623 modules, MAXM17624 features selectable PWM or PFM mode of operation at light loads. When PWM mode is chosen, MAXM17624 operates at a fixed 4MHz switching frequency. It offers output voltages from 1.5V to 3.3V.
The MAXM17624 modules are available in a low profile, compact 10-pin, 2.6mm x 2.1mm x 1.3mm, uSLIC™ package.
Evaluation Kit Features
- Highly Integrated Solution
- 3.6V to 5.5V Input Range
- Programmed 3.3V Output, Delivers Up To 1A Output Current
- High 95.2% Efficiency (Vin=5V, Vout=3.3V at 0.4A)
- 4MHz Switching Frequency
- PFM Feature for Better Light-Load Efficiency
- Fixed Internal 1ms Soft-Start Time
- PGOOD Output, with Pullup Resistor to VIN
- Overcurrent and Overtemperature Protection (OCP and OTP)
- Low-Profile, Surface-Mount Components
- Proven PCB Layout
- Fully Assembled and Tested
Key Features of MAXM17624 modules
- Easy to Use
- 2.9V to 5.5V Input
- Adjustable 0.8V to 3.3V Output
- ±1% Feedback Accuracy
- Up to 1A Output Current
- Fixed 2MHz or 4MHz Operation
- 100% Duty-Cycle Operation
- Internally Compensated
- All Ceramic Capacitors
- High Efficiency
- Selectable PWM- or PFM-Mode of Operation
- Shutdown Current as Low as 0.1µA (typical)
- Flexible Design
- Internal Soft-Start and Prebias Startup
- Open-Drain Power Good Output (PGOOD Pin)
- Robust Operation
- Over-temperature Protection
- -40°C to +125°C Ambient Operating Temperature/ -40°C to +150°C Junction Temperature
- Passes Drop, Shock, and Vibration Standards: JESD22-B103, B104, B111