Torex Semiconductor Ltd. has launched the XCL225/XCL226 series of coil-integrated, step-down "micro DC/DC" converters that support 18V input. The converters contribute to space-saving on the board and a shorter development time, because a circuit can be configured by simply adding two external ceramic capacitors. An internal coil simplifies the board layout and makes it possible to minimize radiation noise and circuit operation trouble.
The DFN3030-10B (3.0 × 3.0, h=1.6mm) package is used for a small package size. The maximum input voltage is raised to 18V, allowing these products to be used for a wide range of industrial equipment and IoT devices, including refrigerators and air conditioners.
The operating voltage range is 3V to 18V, and the maximum output current is 0.5A. The switching frequency is 1.2MHz, and the XCL225 uses PWM control to enable minimization of output ripple voltage by fixing the operating frequency.
The XCL226 uses PWM/PFM auto switching control to lower the operating frequency at light loads, and this reduces power dissipation and realizes high efficiency over all regions, from light loads to heavy loads. The output voltage can be set within a range of 1V to 15V using an external resistor.
A soft start function is set internally to 1.0ms (typical). The soft start time can be adjusted using an external resistor. XCL225/XCL226 Series Features
- Supports an input voltage of 18V
- PWM control (XCL225 series), PWM/PFM auto switching (XCL226 series)
- High efficiency, (85%: at 12V⇒5V, 1mA)
- Ultra-small package with high heat dissipation eliminates the need for derating consideration in new development
- Integrated coil realizes low EMI
- Miniaturization makes these products ideal for reduction of PCB mounting area
- Suited for electronic devices, POS terminals, industrial equipment, and IoT devices that use 2 or 3 lithium-ion batteries or 4 or more dry-cell batteries