A reference design kit (RDK-839) containing a 12W ac-dc power supply for appliances, meters or other industrial applications is now available from Power Integrations. In addition to a functioning supply, it includes a bare board and additional devices that will easily allow a similar supply to be built.
Utilizing PI’s energy-efficient TinySwitch-4 family of offline switcher ICs, the design features less than 30mW no-load consumption and 300mW available output in stand-by (500mW input). It meets all existing and proposed energy efficiency standards including European EcoDesign Directive ErPs.
The RDK-839 reference design kit has an input voltage range of 85- to 265-Vac. The highly integrated design uses a simple EE16 transformer. Flexible board design allows the use of either the compact SO-8C package or the cost-effective DIP-8C package without modifying the board.
Summary of Features
- EcoSmart™ – meets all existing and proposed energy efficiency standards including ErP.
- No-load consumption <30mW; more than 300mW available in stand-by with 500mW input
- 84% average active-mode efficiency – DOE6 and EC CoC (v5)
- The board can fit P/G or the cost-effective D package
- BP/M capacitor value selects power MOSFET current limit for greater design flexibility
- Accurate detection output overvoltage protection (OVP) using primary bias winding sensed shutdown feature
- Accurate tolerance of I2f parameter (-10%, +12%) reduces system cost
- Increases MOSFET and magnetics power delivery
- Reduces overload power, which lowers output diode and capacitor costs
- Integrated TinySwitch-4 safety / reliability features
- Accurate (±5%), auto-recovering, hysteretic thermal shutdown function maintains safe PCB temperatures under all conditions
- Auto-restart protects against output short-circuit and open loop fault conditions
- P and G package with >3.2 mm creepage on package enables reliable operation in high humidity and high pollution environments
- Meets EN550022 and CISPR-22 Class B conducted EMI with >12 dBµV margin
- Meets IEC61000-4-5 Class 3 AC line surge