The MP3424 from Monolithic Power Systems is a high-efficiency, synchronous, current-mode, step-up converter with output disconnect. The MP3424 targets various load capability boosts from a battery input with an accurate load current limit.
The P-channel MOSFET disconnects the output from the input during shutdown.
The MP3424 starts up from an input voltage as low as 2V while providing inrush current limiting, output short-circuit protection (SCP), and programmable load current limit. The integrated P-channel synchronous rectifier improves efficiency and eliminates the need for an external Schottky diode.
The 580kHz switching frequency allows for small external components, while internal compensation and soft-start minimize the external component count. The MP3424 provides flexible current limit programming for up to 5V/3.1A load from a supply voltage down to 2.8V.
Targeted applications include:
- Battery-Powered Products
- Power Bank, Juice Packs, Battery Back-Up Units
- Electronic Cigarettes
- USB Power Supplies
- Consumer Electronic Accessories
The MP3424 is available in a QFN-14 (2mmx2mm) package. Here’s a schematic of a typical application:
- 2V to 5.5V Input Work Range
- 3V to 5.5V Output Range
- Supports 5V/3.1A Output from 2.8V Input
- Programmable up to 9.5A Switching Current Limit
- Programmable Average Load Current Limit
- 580kHz Fixed Frequency Switching
- Up to 97% Efficiency
- Internal Soft Start and Compensation
- True Output Load Disconnect from Input
- Over-Current Protection (OCP), Short-Circuit Protection (SCP), and Over-Temperature Protection (OTP)