Nichicon has developed and launched two types of power grid-connected vehicle-to-house (V2H) systems (model numbers VCG-663CN3 and VCG-666CN7) with the CHAdeMO (V2H). The design concept of these products will be displayed at the 31st International Electric Vehicle Symposium and Exhibition & International Electric Vehicle Technology Conference 2018, held at the Kobe Convention Center from September 30-October 2, and CEATEC JAPAN 2018, held at Makuhari Messe from October 16-19.
Scheduled sales launch: January 2019 and the sales target is 18,000 units in the first three years of production.
Six years have passed since the launch of Nichicon’s first V2H system EV Power Station® in 2012. During that time, the development of regulations concerning power supplies from EV and PHV (CHAdeMO V2H Guidelines DC Version 2.1) and power grid connections linking EV and PHV to homes (JET, JIS C 4412-1 and “Safety Requirements for Electric Energy Storage Equipment (1)” 10) has laid a foundation for the introduction of V2H and virtual power plants (VPPs).
The CHAdeMO standard ensures connective compatibility between EV and PHV and V2H systems, while JET verification enables the efficient and uninterrupted supply of electricity to homes from power companies and electricity stored in the batteries installed in EV and PHV. This also enables the continued double-speed charging (up to 6kW) of EV and PHV.
It is estimated that, by the end of the Feed-in Tariff (FIT) period in fiscal 2019, 56,000 homes will have solar power generation equipment installed, with another approximately 20,000 homes installing solar power generation equipment after the end of the FIT period every year thereafter, as consumer trends shift from selling electricity to private consumption.
Nichicon introduced the Tribrid Energy Storage System in July 2018 as a flagship model providing multiple options in response to household needs after the end of the FIT period.
Of the two models developed by Nichicon, high-end model VCG-666CN7 is equipped with a communications function compatible with ECHONET Lite, facilitating the power trading that is expected to be commercialized in the future.
In particular, this will enable the realization of connections between this device and multiple EV and PHV for Work Place Charging (WPC) at companies. An onboard intelligent charging function enables automatic control of chargeable electric power volumes.
Connecting the VCG-660CG3 Vehicle to Grid (V2G) system to the power grid can also be made compatible with the G59 UK regulation, compatibility with the CE regulation enables rollout to the rest of Europe. England is conducting a test called “Electric Nation” with UK company Crowd Charge on this device.
These most-recent developments are built on the many contributions Nichicon has made with regard to the adoption of electric (EV) and plug-in hybrid (PHV) vehicles and their use as emergency power sources during disasters, including the mass production and sales of EV and PHV quick chargers since 2009, the introduction of the world’s first EV Power Station® V2H system in 2012, and the Power Mover® Vehicle to Load (V2L) portable power supply in 2017. In 2018, Nichicon developed and launched the Tribrid Energy Storage System®, aimed at promoting the adoption of low-environmental impact EV and PHV.
Features of the new V2H systems:
- Interconnected with power grid to enable simultaneous power supply
Power grid interconnection enables electricity from electric cars, power companies and solar power generation to be used at the same time. Users can continue to enjoy their regular comfortable lifestyle while using electricity stored in EV.
- Eco-driving using electricity generated by solar power
Charging the EV with excess electricity generated by solar power realizes clean and economical driving.
- Utilizes electricity from EV during power outages
In the event of a power outage, electricity stored in the EV can be used for the home. And, if solar power is being generated, the EV can be charged even during power outages.
- Double-speed charging enables rapid charging
Electricity from solar power or the power company can be used for charging in approximately half the time required for standard 200 V charging equipment. Household electricity consumption is monitored in real time and an onboard intelligent charging function enables automatic control of chargeable electric power volumes.
- Peak demand reduction leads to lower costs
By using electricity stored in the EV during the afternoon hours reduces peak power demand, enabling reductions in electric power costs. Using electricity generated by solar power will contribute to further reductions in peak demand.
- Easy remote operation using smartphones
Using a dedicated smartphone app, settings such as the start time for charging EV can be easily adjusted. Usage history can also be reviewed using this app.
And, the use of HEMS communication standard ECHONET Lite enables smooth support for future VPP.
- Specifications common to both models:
- Charging performance: Under 6 kW (includes intelli-charge function)
- Power grid connectivity (compatible with CHAdeMO V2H Category 3*3)
- 7-segment indicator mounted on main body display, membrane switch used for operation realizes high visibility and operability
- Earthquake resistance and construction efficiency are greatly improved by an integrated system configuration that simplifies installation
- VCG-663CN3 Specifications
- Significant reduction in installation costs as a power grid connected V2H system. A popular more affordably priced unit that is easy to use has also been developed Power supply performance: 6 kW (self-sustaining*4: 3 kVA)
- Two-year manufacturer warranty after installation
- Suggested retail price: ¥398,000 (excluding consumption tax and installation cost)
- VCG-666CN7 Specifications
- A high-end version of VCG-663CN3, provides security with improved features and convenience, including communications functionality (ECHONET Lite), remote control (smartphone app), submergibility and a long warranty (five years).
- Power supply performance: 6 kW (self-sustaining: 6 kVA)
- Supports Echo Net Light
- Remote operation with a dedicated smartphone application, display viewing available
- Warranty: Five-year warranty after installation.
- Base floor height: 10 cm + main body: 25 cm enables total water submergence of 35 cm
- Rust prevention is standard specification
- Suggested retail price: ¥798,000 (excluding consumption tax and installation cost)