The ac-dc power conversion market is undergoing rapid transition with programmable solutions that can adapt to the newest fast-charging protocols, including USB PD 3.0 + PPS specification. The new dynamically configurable InnoSwitch™3-Pro integrated switcher IC from Power Integrations enables digital micro-stepping of voltage (10mV step) and current (50mA step) for precise battery charge control.
Applications are expected to include: High efficiency USB PD 3.0 + PPS/QCA adapters; Multiprotocol adapters including QuickCharge, AFC, FCP, SCP; Direct-charge mobile device chargers; Multi-chemistry tool and general purpose battery chargers; and Adjustable CV and CC LED ballast designs up to 65W.
Capable of delivering up to 65W and achieving up to 94% efficiency across line and load conditions, the new devices may be paired with a microcontroller or take inputs from the system CPU to control and monitor the off-line power supply.
InnoSwitch3-Pro supports virtually any rapid-charging protocol, including USB Power Delivery (PD) 3.0 + PPS, Quick Charge™ 4/4+, AFC, VOOC, SCP, FCP and other industrial and consumer battery chargers, dimmable LED ballast drivers and field-configurable industrial power supplies.
The InnoSwitch™3-Pro series family of ICs dramatically simplifies the development and manufacturing of fully programmable, highly efficient power supplies, particularly those in compact enclosures. The universal I2C interface enables dynamic control of output voltage and current along with many configurable features. Telemetry provides reporting of programmed features and fault modes.
Product highlights include:
- Digitally Controlled via I2C Interface
- Dynamic adjustment of power supply voltage and current
- Telemetry status read-back with processor interrupt
- Comprehensive set of configurable features
- Highly Integrated, Compact Footprint
- Multi-mode Quasi-Resonant (QR) / CCM flyback controller, 650 V or 725 V MOSFET, secondary-side sensing and synchronous rectifier driver
- Optimized efficiency across line and load range
- Integrated FluxLink™, HIPOT-isolated, feedback link
- Instantaneous transient response
- Drives low-cost N-channel MOSFET series load switch
- Integrated 3.6V supply for external MCU
- EcoSmart™ – Energy Efficient
- Less than 30 mW no-load including line sense and MCU
- Easily meets all global energy efficiency regulations
- Low heat dissipation
- Advanced Protection / Safety Features
- Input voltage monitor with accurate brown-in/brown-out and overvoltage protection
- Output OV/UV fault detection with independently configured responses
- Secondary FET / diode short protection
- Open SR FET gate detection
- Hysteretic thermal shutdown
- Programmable watchdog timer functionality for system faults
- Telemetry for power supply status and fault monitoring
- Full Safety and Regulatory Compliance
- Reinforced insulation
- Isolation voltage >4000Vac
- 100% production HIPOT compliance testing
- UL1577 and TUV (EN60950) safety approved
- Green Package
- Halogen free and RoHS compliant