Need a gift for that power electronics engineer in your life? Check out Wruth‘s Design Guides for magnetics, connectors, capacitors, power modules and LTspice IV simulation.
The Design Guide “Trilogy of Magnetics” in its 4th edition The design guide for EMI Filter Design and SMPS & RF Design Circuit is completely revised, newly structured, and covers a multitude of new components and applications. The design guide is divided into the following chapters: Basic Principles, Components, and Applications. A keyword index, as well as a formulary, complete the book.
The objective of the design guide, “Trilogy of Magentics”, is to practically familiarize customers and users with the characteristics and applications of inductive components. The design guide was published 8 years ago for the first time and is now a standard work for lots of development departments and universities.
Over 15,000 copies of the book have been sold in the last 8 years. In the 4th edition, the explanation of old techniques and components has been set aside to have more room for new components and applications. Notably, a multitude of external authors from our customer base and our well-known manufacturers passed on their experiences and solutions in the Basic Principles and Applications section.
The following articles are exemplary highlights:
- Calculation, dimensioning and construction of customer-specific transformers (Do-it- yourself transformer design)
- A transformer’s effect on return loss
- Class-D amplifier
- An introduction to frequency compensation
- Basic principles of Ethernet & Power-over-Ethernet
Furthermore, the Trilogy includes over 200 practical examples to the following topics:
- Filter circuits
- Audio circuits
- Video circuits
- Motor control units
- Line filter
- Power supply
The Trilogy of Connectors includes basic principles and connector design explanations. This is the 3rd extended and revised edition.
- The Chapters:
- Basic Principles
- A connector is an electromechanical system which provides a separable connection between two subsystems of an electronic device without an unacceptable effect on the performance of the device. It will be shown that there are a lot of complex parameters to handle properly to make this statement true.
- Design / Selection / Assembly
- This chapter provides an overview of design and material requirements for contact finishes, contact springs and connector housings as well as the major degradation mechanisms for these connector components. Material selection criteria for each will also be reviewed. Additionally the Level of Interconnection (LOI) was integrated into this chapter as it addresses, where the connector is used within an electronic system and therefore influences the requirements and durability of the connector depending on its use.
- This chapter is heading to the practical work and shows how customers use connectors in their applications to offer some possibilities and to ease your daily work. Additionally it contains some special topics like tin-whisker or impedance of ZIF cable to offer you extended background knowledge.
- A technical dictionary and alphabetical key word index for quick searches complete this book.
Abc of Capacitors includes sections on basic principles, characteristics and capacitor types:
- Basic principles
- This chapter imparts basic knowledge on the relationships between the electric field, permittivity, as well as the structure and operating principles of a capacitor.
- Capacitor characteristics
- The electrical parameters and essential characteristics of a capacitor are explained in greater detail for the reader. This extends from the actual capacitance of a capacitor through to the interdependencies.
- Capacitor types
- Existing capacitor types and their characteristics are presented. Film, electrolyte and ceramic capacitors are considered in detail.
The application handbook – “The LTspice IV Simulator” is in its 1st edition and includes: Manual, methods and applications
LTspice IV is an outstanding software application for its power, its calculation speed and the universality of its applications. This is THE software that must be used to produce high performance electronics in this century where demand for quality must go hand in hand with fast development!
For over 20 years, LTspice IV has been a direct descendant of this scientific and technical adventure. It is undoubtedly the fastest software, the most robust and most comprehensive of the electronic SPICE simulators. Unfortunately, the electronic Help file is the only documentation available.
It is incomplete and far behind the development of the software; many commands are barely documented, although they are essential, and some do not even appear! It was a shame that the ever growing group of users (1,600,000,000 worldwide at the beginning of 2011) did not have the benefit of a book dedicated to LTspice IV. This book was designed to fill this gap!
Finally, Abc of Power Modules is a new addition to this Design Series and includes functionality, structure and handling of a power module. Chapters include:
- This chapter describes the need of a dc-dc voltage converter and its basic functionality. Furthermore, various possibilities for realizing a voltage regulator are presented and the essential advantages of a power module are mentioned.
- Circuit Topologies
- Circuit concepts, buck and boost topologies very frequently used with power modules are explained in detail and further circuit topologies are introduced.
- Technology, Construction and Regulation Technology
- The mechanical construction of a power module is presented, which has a significant influence on EMC and thermal performance. Furthermore, control methods are explained and circuit design tips are provided in this chapter.
- Measuring Methods
- Meaningful measurement results are absolutely necessary to assess a power module. The relevant measurement points and measurement methods are described in this chapter.
- The aspects of storage and handling of power modules are explained, as well as their manufacturing and soldering processes.
- Selection of a Power Module
- Important parameters and criteria for the optimal selection of a power module are presented in this section.