The ISL95538B from Intersil is a buck-boost Narrow Output Voltage DC (NVDC) charger. The ISL95538B provides the NVDC charging function, system bus regulation, and protection features for tablet, ultrabook, and notebook platforms.
Intersil’s advanced R3™ Technology is used to provide high light-load efficiency and fast transient response.
In Charging mode, the ISL95538B takes input power from a wide range of dc power sources (conventional ac-dc charger adapters, USB PD ports, travel adapters, etc.) and safely charges battery packs with up to 4-series cell Li-ion batteries.
As an NVDC topology charger, it also regulates the system output to a narrow dc range for stable system bus voltage. The system power can be provided from the adapter, battery, or a combination of both. The ISL95538B can operate with only a battery, an adapter, or both connected.
The ISL95538B supports reverse buck, boost, or buck-boost operation to input port from 2- to 4-cell batteries.
The ISL95538B has serial communication using SMBus/I2C that allows programming of many critical parameters to deliver a customized solution.
- Buck-boost NVDC charger for 1-, 2-, 3-, or 4-cell Li-ion batteries
- Input voltage range 3.2V to 23.4V (no dead zone)
- System output voltage 3V to 18.304V
- Autonomous charging option (automatic end of charge and recharge)
- Up to 1MHz switching frequency
- Adapter current and battery current monitor (AMON/BMON)
- PROCHOT# open-drain output, IMVP compliant
- Allows trickle charging of depleted battery
- Ideal diode control in Turbo mode
- Reverse buck, boost, and buck-boost operation from battery
- Two-level adapter current limit available
- Battery Ship mode option
- SMBus and auto-increment I2C compatible
- Package 4×4 32 Ld TQFN