The TPSM82480 from Texas Instruments is a synchronous step-down dc-dc converter module for low profile point-of-load power supplies. The input voltage range of 2.4V to 5.5V enables operation from typical 3.3V or 5V interface supplies as well as from backup circuits dropping down as low as 2.4V.
The output current is up to 6A continuously provided by two phases of 3A each, which run out-of-phase, reducing pulse current noise significantly.
The TPSM82480 provides an automatically entered power save mode to maintain high efficiency down to very light loads. This incorporates an automatic phase adding and shedding feature using both or only one phase according to the actual load. The power save mode can be switched off using the MODE feature.
The device offers a Power Good signal and an adjustable soft start. Also, the device features a Thermal Good signal to indicate excessive internal temperature. The output voltage can be changed to a preselected value by VSEL pin. TPSM82480 is able to operate in 100% duty cycle mode.
Applications are expected to include:
- Low Profile Point-of-Load Supply
- Storage, Server, Adapter Card
- Industrial PC/Embedded PC/FPGA supply
- Wireless Base Station
- Test & Measurement
- Ultra Small 7.9 x 3.6 x 1.5 mm Power Module
- Output Current of 6A
- Feedback Voltage Accuracy of ±1%
- Input Voltage Range 2.4- to 5.5-V
- Output Voltage Range 0.6- to 5.5-V
- Typical Quiescent Current of 23µA
- Output Voltage Select
- Phase Shifted Operation
- Automatic Power Save Modes
- Forced PWM Mode Option
- Adjustable Soft Start
- Power Good & Thermal Good Outputs
- Undervoltage Lockout
- Over-current and Short-Circuit Protection
- Over-temperature Protection
- -40°C to 125°C Operating Temperature Range