In automotive battery-connected applications, low quiescent current (IQ) is important to save power and extend battery lifetime. It is especially necessary to have ultralow IQ for always-on systems.
The TPS7B82-Q1 from Texas Instruments is a low-dropout linear regulator designed for up to 40-V VIN applications. With only 2.7-µA typical quiescent current at light load, it is an optimal solution for powering microcontrollers and CAN/LIN transceivers in standyby systems.
The device features integrated short-circuit and overcurrent protection. This device operates in ambient temperatures from -40°C to 125°C and with junction temperatures from -40°C to 150°C. Additionally, this device uses a thermally conductive package to enable sustained operation despite significant dissipation across the device.
Because of these features, the device is well suited as a power supply for various automotive applications. Typical applications include: cluster power supply, body control modules, always-ON battery-connected applications such as gateway applications and remote keyless entry systems, and powering MCUs and CAN/LIN transceivers.
A complete list of features includes:
- Qualified for Automotive Applications
- AEC-Q100 Qualified With the Following Results:
- Device Temperature Grade 1: -40°C to 125°C Ambient Operating Temperature Range
- Device HBM ESD Classification Level H2
- Device CDM ESD Classification Level C3B
- Device Junction Temperature Range: -40°C to 150°C
- 3-V to 40-V Wide VIN Input Voltage Range With up to 45-V Transient
- Maximum Output Current: 300 mA
- Low Quiescent Current IQ:
- 300 nA Typical When EN = Low (Shutdown Mode)
- 7 µA Typical at Light Loads
- 5 µA Maximum at Light Loads
- 2% Output-Voltage Accuracy
- Maximum Dropout Voltage: 700 mV at 200-mA Load Current for Fixed 5-V Output Version
- Stable with Low-ESR (0.001-Ω to 5-Ω) Ceramic Output-Stability Capacitor (1 µF to 200 µF)
- Fixed 5-V and 3.3-V Output Voltage
- Integrated Fault Protection:
- Thermal Shutdown
- Short-Circuit and Overcurrent Protection
- Thermal Resistance (RθJA): 63.9°C/W
- 8-Pin MSOP Package